California Fires

Northern California is experiencing one of the worst fires in recent history. This is causing the smoke from the fires to spread throughout the surrounding region and has reached the Lake Tahoe area. This naturally causes concern for our travels to #IHCON2018 next week.


We recently spoke with the Granlibakken Conference Services Manager about the conditions there. Based on this conversation, our current plans are to go ahead with the meeting as scheduled. They use the web site https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/tahoe-city to monitor the air quality in the area, which currently (Saturday, 8/10) indicates that the Air Quality Index is 30 and considered to be "GOOD". For Air Quality Index basics please click => here.

We are told that the air quality varies throughout the day and is generally better during mid-day, which is when we have our break for outdoor activities. Once we get there, if some folks decide not to go out during the mid-day break, Granlibakken can set up fun indoor activities (Yoga, Meditation, Gym, Movies in the dining area and Cedar House, etc.).

You might want to consult the weather website to monitor the air quality in the region so you can decide for yourself if you would prefer to not travel to IHCON. FYI, the Granlibakken cancellation policy is as follows:

A $100.00 per person deposit is due at the time of booking, with the balance due 14 days prior to arrival. CANCELLATIONS received at any time are subject to a $25.00 handling fee. CANCELLATIONS received less than 30 days prior to arrival are charged $100.00 per person. In the event of a cancellation that was assigned double occupancy, the remaining participant will be charged the single occupancy rate. No shows are charged 2 nights at the package rate. Participants who check in a day late or checkout a day early will be charged the full package rate unless the alternate arrival/departure dates are confirmed 72 hours prior to arrival. Note: there is a two-night minimum for all weekends.

If for any reason you choose to cancel your travel plans to #IHCON2018 and have a scheduled presentation, please let us know via email (admin@ihcon.org) by Sunday, August 12th.

We will keep you posted via this website and emails as the conditions evolve. Meanwhile, a link to a live webcam at nearby Commons Beach, Tahoe City is found -> here.